Wednesday, February 3, 2010

High & Low

I was reading Paris Hilton's book, Confessions of a Heiress, and in it she mentioned that you should only eat either very, very expensive food or garbage. Like, either sushi or Cheetos. I read that and thought, so true, Paris. So true.

I high/low it all the time. Diamonds and a white Hanes t-shirt. Drinking PBR in the lobby of a four star hotel. $30 lipstick and dime store eyeliner. Driving my 92' Subaru through gated communities, radio blasting (mostly just to irritate the people that live there).

My ultimate high/low, though, are the radio stations I listen to- NPR on one side, my favorite hip hop station on the other. Admittedly, the NPR is only on about 20% of the time, but still- my drive home from work sounds something like this:

"An Iraqi appeals court overturned a move to disqualify some 500 candidates in next month's parliamentary elections because of their alleged ties to-"
CLICK
"I see you winding and grinding up on that pole, I know you see me lookin' at you and you already know, I wanna fuck you, you already know, I wanna fuck you, you already know-"
CLICK
"NASA's administrator is defending the president's proposed budget for NASA, which cancels the space agency's planned space shuttle successor and instead relies on private companies to-"
CLICK
"Baby, I be stuck to you like- glue baby, wanna spend it all on- you baby, my room is the g-spot call me Mr. Flintstone I can make your bed rock, hey hey hey, I can make your bed rock hey, hey, hey, I can make your bed rock girl-"

So I get what Paris is talking about- high/low is like being classy about being trashy. You'll have to excuse me- I'm going to get drunk and read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. In my diamonds, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, Paris wrote a book? Was it all in crayon?? Oh, and that Flintstone/"bed rock"? Lame ass shit...

    ReplyDelete